Funny story- I am actually not about Valentine’s Day. Zach + I stopped celebrating it because it never failed; we made plans + boom, we got sick. Which is the crazy part, because we rarely get sick. But leave it to the day of love to make us sick. After three Valentine’s in a row of scheduling a couples massage + having to cancel because of a sickness- we decided to avoid the holiday. This year we said “oh let’s go hiking for Vday.”..and guess what? I’m not sick, but I have an ear annoyance. It was bath time the other night + the kids thought it was funny that mom could go under the water + come back up. So I played along a couple times- until I felt water go in my ear! I didn’t think too much about it. Until it woke me up at 3am with a bunch of pressure. So from 3-5am I tried everything Google suggested. With no luck I finally fell back asleep. After talking to a nurse friend she thinks the water got behind my eardrum. UGHHH…I heard from THREE other people with the same story. All went to an ENT + basically all got the same answer; keep blowing out of your nose while holding it to pop your ears. One person had it for a few days, one for a couple weeks, + one for 2 months. My ear feels like it is full of water. Talk about annoying! I pray it goes away- FAST. Anyway, enough of my Valentine’s drama…Here is a cute cookie recipe we did with the boys! My favorite thing to do in the kitchen is to bake cookies with them, mainly because they love it so much. Secondly, because I love sweets. Win Win!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Sugar Cookies Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
½ cup unsalted butter room temp or warmed in microwave
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 350
2. Mix sugar + butter together for a couple of minutes
3. Add egg + vanilla
4. Combine dry ingredients + add to wet ingredients (everyone always says combine in a separate bowl then add the wet ingredients…I never do that, I just throw it all together. Less dishes + less time)
5. Mix until combined, dough will be very thick.
6. Put it in the fridge for 15ish minutes
7. Put wax paper down + put flour on top the put your dough + roll it out!
8. Use whatever shapes you are in the mood for, we did hearts + lips for valentines day
9. Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes (each oven is different) Take out of oven let them totally cool on rack before adding icing
2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick of butter
1 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp of heavy whipping cream or whole milk
Mix all together – I took out some icing to mix red food color
I hope everyone has a great Valentines Day! Remember its not about the gifts we get, but the love we share! I hope you enjoy baking cookies with your family like we do! Fair warning, your kitchen + kids will get messy! But its ok let flour get everywhere...the best memories are made there!
XO Colleen Cashio